What are the Contra Indications to Skin Needling?
- Pustular or nodular rosacea
- Irritated skins/Skin infections
- Blood coagulation disorders
- Diabetes mellitus
- Autoimmune diseases
- Current cancer treatment
- Hepatitis C
- History of herpes simplex infections
- Blood clotting problems
- Collagen vascular diseases
- Warts and scars less than 6 months
- Clients who have used Accutane in the last 90 days
- Who have poor wound healing
How will the client look after the treatment?
After the procedure the client’s skin will be red and flushed in appearance in a similar way to moderate sunburn. The client will also experience skin tightness and mild sensitivity to touch on the area being treated. This will diminish greatly after a few hours following treatments and within the next 24 hours the skin will be completely healed. After 3 days there should be barely any evidence that the procedure has taken place, it is common to feel itching, tightness or slight peeling.
Is skin needling safe?
Skin needling does not involve injections and therefore allergic reactions and side effects are unlikely. It is minimally invasive, involves minimum downtime, rapid healing and requires simple after care. There is a risk of infection if the skin is not prepped and sterile along with sterile tools and peptides so extra care is to be taken when following the steps of the procedure. Also there is risk of infection if the needles are rolled over pustules as the bacteria is spread over the skin in this case.
What needle length should I use?
0.2-0.25mm: Improves absorption of applied products but will NOT induce collagen production 0.5mm: Smallest needle length that will induce collagen production, so it’s the most comfortable and most popular choice. 1.0mm: Recommended to treat scars on the face and skin pigmentation 1.5mm: Recommended to treat scarring on the body, stretch marks and cellulite.
What effects does micro needling have on the skin?
- Improves skin texture
- Reduces appearance of wrinkles
- Regenerates tissue
- Improves the appearance of scars
- Reduces the size of pores
- Reduces the appearance of stretchmarks
Can micro needling be used on any skin colour?
Micro needling is safe to use on all skin types and colours without the risk of post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation.
How many treatments should I get?
We recommend 1 session a week for 6 weeks for maximum results. These results include the mandelic peel 40% followed by the preferred vial and micro device and ending with the Diamond mask or Collagen mask. Collagen induction requires at least 3 treatments, while scar reduction requires between 3 & 6. Usually results begin to appear after the first session.
- Clients must use the calming bliss and repairing gel for 3 days following the micro needling treatment.
- After 3 days can the client return to their skincare.
- No makeup, lotions for 12 hours
- No sun exposure or SPF for 12 hours.
- Avoid touching the skin.
- Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen as they will interfere with natural process of micro needling.
It is fine to go to work and resume normal activities after an in salon treatment. For 48 hour time period post treatment it is advised to avoid the following activities:
- Excessive gym or cardio workout
- Sauna/hot bath/spa
- Swimming in chlorinated pool
- Spray or fake tan
- Use of AHA, BHA and Vitamin A
Clients must avoid chemical peels/micro dermabrasion 1-2 weeks after. IPL/laser 3-4 weeks after. Botox 2-3 weeks after and Dermal filler injections 6 weeks after.